|What is PlantsToPlant?||
PlantstoPlant.com is a new way to bring plants direct from the grower, cutting out the middle man and offering you real choice. We are a collaboration working alongside Fromefield Nurseries Ltd in the production of an exciting range of young plants – in 9cm pots unless otherwise stated - brought to you at fantastic prices, directly via mail order here on the website and also via our eBay and Facebook shops.
Unlike a garden centre we do not only sell varieties that look good in the pot at point of sale, but rather we bring you a selection of plants for all seasons, and colour for all spaces, large or small, so that you can really show off and have a garden that looks good not only in spring but throughout the year. Please note, however, that the plants will not immediately resemble those in the accompanying images. In fact, depending on the plant in question and the time of year purchased, your plant may not even have foliage. If your purchase is planted and cared for as recommended in our planting instructions however, it will in time flourish and grow to resemble the illustration.
|Do you send plants overseas?||
Yes it is certainly possible for us to send plants overseas, as we have a full 'UK Plant Passport' for shipping plants but only to full EU Member States. If you are not able to finalise an order and you are within the EU, please contact us as [email protected]
|What is the pot size?||
All of our plants are supplied in pots, unless specifically noted otherwise. In most cases the pots are 3" or 9cm pots.
|Is PlantsToPlant a real Nursery?||
PlantsToPlant.com is a parnership working alongside Fromefield Nurseries Ltd in the production of an exciting range of young plants. Most of our plants will be sourced and grown on the nursery, but from time to time we hope to bring you the best plants from other local suppliers also. In this respect, we are a ‘real' nursery, run by nurserymen, bringing you products direct. We aim to supply as much information as possible about the plants we list – far more than on the average plant label – to enable you to make informed choices about which plants are most suitable for the spaces you have available.
The Nursery has introduced many new plants to the trade since 1988, including the ‘Golden Jasmine' Jasminum officinale ‘Fiona Sunrise', Euphorbia ‘Excalibur', Festuca glauca ‘Golden Toupee' and Vitis coignetiae ‘Claret Cloak' to name a few. The Nursery has a strong customer base, which look to the Nursery for innovative and new plants which are grown to a precise specification and standard.
|What does PlantsToPlant offer?||
We will endeavour to introduce you to some really interesting plants - some unusual, some less so - but they will be chosen because they are special and give us pleasure, and in turn we would like to share that pleasure with you. Because of our excellent horticultural background and depth of knowledge, we are confident that the plants we are supplying are also of top quality.
Rather than specialising in any particular genre, we prefer to cover all bases where plants are concerned. We do perhaps grow more Perennials than any other plant type, but are not limited to them. We also grow Ferns, Grasses, Trees, Shrubs, Alpines and many others, but they will all be Unusually Good Plants.
|What is the mission of PlantToPlant?||
The enjoyment we all get from cultivating, nurturing and creating living green space cannot be easily explained, but it is well known that growing plants is therapeutic; indeed, many organisations offer the growing of plants and gardening as an alternative therapy. Probably the most important role of plants though is in the environment, and we all have to do our bit to protect it. Plants produce oxygenand absorb carbon dioxide from the atmosphere during the process ofphotosynthesis. Put simply, the more plants we grow, the more we offset the damage we do to the environment by just being part of it.
Gardens have become, quite rightly, extensions of the home. The space you have is the room, and the plants are the wallpaper, paint and ornaments. We are like a DIY store, and supply the materials to decorate your extension.
We will endeavour to introduce you to some really interesting plants - some unusual, some less so - but they will be chosen because they are special and give us pleasure, and in turn we would like to share that pleasure with you. Because of our excellent horticultural background and depth of knowledge, we are confident that the plants we are supplying are also of top quality, and backed by a No Quibble Guarantee.
|Do you do discounts for larger quantities?||
In some cases this may be possible. If you are a professional, for instance a Garden Designer, and require larger quantities we can offer discount codes, please enquire. Even if you are not a business, and just have a large space to fill, please enquire.
Most of our plants are discounted for quantity, (multi-buys) and there are Special Offers on the site most of the time.
In addition we have a very worthwhile Referral Scheme whereby you can earn up to 50% discount, just by recommending us to your friends and colleagues.
If you are a professional grower or Nursery/Plant Centre please go to our Parent Company. Fromefield Nurseries Ltd. www.fromefield.com for further information. Click here to send a message.
|Who runs PlantsToPlant?||
Fromefield Nurseries Ltd is a wholesale company, specialising mainly in perennials, ornamental grasses and hardy ferns, and was started in 1988 by Nurseryman and Plant enthusiast David West.
The nursery supplies plants to retail and wholesale nurseries of all sizes as well as the landscape trade and also contract-grows for a number of high profile organisations.
We are one of the founder members, and were instrumental in the development of, ‘The Association of Liner Producers' (ALP), which evolved to improve the quality of UK grown nursery plants. The Nursery is also accredited by the ‘Buy with Confidence Scheme' run by Local Authorities throughout the UK. We are also members of the National Farmers Union (NFU) and the Horticultural Trades Association.
The nursery has a team of very knowledgeable and committed staff, and together we aim to grow the best. As well as the Nursery staff, David's wife Fiona helps out with much of the administration as well as getting her hands dirty potting many of the plants. The Nursery is a family enterprise.
|Is the Nursery open to the public?||
Because the Nursery is a busy production enterprise, we are not open to visitors. It is not because we do not like visitors; it is more of a practical exception. Not only is the Nursery very busy growing the plants on a day to day basis, but we are also in a very rural location and simply do not have the facilities or the relevant permissions.
|What do I do when the plants arrive?||
After they arrive..
1. When your plants arrive, they are contained in plastic packs and enclosed in a cardboard box.
2. As soon as possible after arrival, remove the packs from the cardboard box, take plants out of the plastic packs and place them in a well-lit and sheltered area out of doors, until you are ready to plant them. If the weather is inclement, try to place in a conservatory, glasshouse or porch.
3. If the compost is a little dry, stand the pots in a tray in shallow water for up to 1 hour. If unable to water from beneath, spray water lightly over the plants with a watering can.
4. Once the compost is moist, allow the pots to drain normally, do not leave them in the water for extended periods.
5. There may be some loose compost or a slight yellowing of the leaves, which is a consequence of the plants being enclosed during dispatch. This will not affect the condition of the plants.
1. Soak the plants 1-2 hours prior to potting or planting.
2. Gently remove the garden ready plants from the pot by pushing up from the bottom using your thumb and squeezing the pot gently at the same time. If roots through the base of the pot are preventing easy removal, these can be cut away without harming the plant.
3. Transfer the plants into larger pots or container trays, filled with good purpose multi-purpose compost if required, or plant out (see below).
4. Water the plants very well once, and then do not water again until the compost is drying or the plants indicate that it is needed.
5. Place the plants in a sheltered, well-lit area, but preferably out of direct sunlight initially.
6. Apply a liquid feed after 2-3 weeks.
1. Water plants 1-2 hours prior to planting out.
2. Dig a hole approximately 3 times the size of the pot and break up the soil which has been removed, with a garden fork. Add some well rotted manure, leaf mould, garden compost or any proprietary multi-purpose compost and mix with the soil removed from the planting hole.
3. Place plant in prepared hole, ensuring that the base of the plant is at ground level, then back fill with soil prepared as above, pressing soil firmly around root ball.
4. Once planted, water the plants very well.
5. To establish the growth of young plants, it is important that you water regularly, especially during dry sunny spells, at least until well established.
6. If after planting out there is a risk of frost, and the plants are tender in nature, cover the plants at night with proprietary fleece or a suspended old sheet may suffice.
7. Feed the plants as required during the growing season.
|Do you supply wholesale?||
If you are a professional grower or Nursery/Plant Centre please go to our Parent Company. Fromefield Nurseries Ltd. www.fromefield.com for further information. Click here to redirect to www.fromefield.com
|How do I contact you?||
|Will you be getting any more stock in?||
Unfortunately some items will be out of stock or be removed from the site altogether if discontinued. Occasionally we may have a few of a certain plant, but not enough to put on the website. It is therefore worth sending an email to enquire.